ccs273

My Journey ( post Quest )

72 posts in this topic

My previous thread "My Quest" http://iron.media/forum/general-discussion/general-discussion-aa/70187-my-quest Losely chronicaled my last 5 yrs, and the turning of my need to get back into shape to a full on competetive powerlifter...it had everything training routine, my thoughts, my feelings, the good and the bad.....and from being a lazy fat ass to where i am today is completely different..... I closed the thread .... simply put i did what i set out to do..... 1. get in shape and learn more about my body and ped's 2. make this a lifestyle change 3. Switch from working out to actually training my body for a purpose 4. compete as a powerifter at an actual sanctioned event 5. get a 400lbs bench, and 1500lbs total at a meet All of these were completed..... Meet highlights: 9/11/10 APF summer heat (242) ( sub master) sq 451, b314 ,d473 , t 1238 9/10/11 APF summer heat (242)(submaster) sq497, b336, d524, t1357 ( state record) 1/19/13 IPA dixie benchpress championships (275)(open) B340 12/7/13 USPA corlina championships (275)(masters) sq518, b363, 529, t 1410 state record) 1/11/14 IPA dixie benchpress championships (275)(masters) B400 5/3/14 IPA SC rebels/westside qualifier (275)(masters) sq520, b375 d520, t1415 (state record) 6/7/14 USPA carolina open championships (275)( open&masters) sq551, b375, d 540, t1466(state record) 10/11/14 IPA big south powerlifting championships (275)(open) sq565, b390, d550, t1505 (state records) The last few years it became more about hitting the 1500lbs total than anything......and I did get it, and it felt awesome, but I lost the most important thing, I love lifting and it is fun..... I lost the fun and the true joy I have for lifting.......so..... This new thread, and chapter in my lifestyle is all about brining back what I'm missing.... the joy and fun of lifting, Yes I'll still compete I like to do that....I'll still do as Ive done and leave it open for all of you to coment of ask questions or tell me to fuck off.......this is and follows me, after the 1st 5 yrs is over and I continue in the iron game..... Some of you know that I did get a minor injury during the opening squat attempt at my last meet so I have been taking it easy for a good while, fully healled and obviously rested now, I'm back in the gym, and holy shit I feel weak, but that will pass sooon and it won't be long before I.m back to moving tons of weight....lol

Re: My Journey ( post Quest )

Good stuff brother!
Thanks brudda.....been thinking about doing a new thread for a long time now and hope it gets the responce like the old one did.

Re: My Journey ( post Quest ) 3/4/15 Incline bench: 135/3×10 185/3×5 205/3×4 225/3×2 Strict log press: 80/2×15 100/2×10 120/2×5 Barbell curls: 45/10 65/2×10 75/2×8 Bent over barbell rows: 135/4×15 felt pretty good but everything felt heavy but that is okay only my 1st week back in the gym training....lol Earlier this week had a great bench session and a squat day...forgot to write them down so didn't post them up here....I'll be glad when all this rust gets knocked off...until next time....have a great one

You'll be back in NO TIME big man!!
I believe ya brudda.....muscle memory is an awesome thing...just gotta wake them up.

Re: My Journey ( post Quest ) I'd guess that this will be a sabbatical. Competition is hard to put aside. I just went into my second retirement from PL comps. Your body will benefit from not lifting insane weights for a while. Enjoy the time, and train like there's no tomorrow. 1600 would a nice number down the road.

I'd guess that this will be a sabbatical. Competition is hard to put aside. I just went into my second retirement from PL comps. Your body will benefit from not lifting insane weights for a while. Enjoy the time, and train like there's no tomorrow. 1600 would a nice number down the road.
Sabbatical. ...lol...yeah just needed some time to rest I guess...hell it hurt to just go through the motions in the couple.of weeks that followed the last meet.. but back to work now...16 would be great....17 would be better though....lol

Re: My Journey ( post Quest ) As far as the cycling goes I'm still going to keep it light which seems to work for me...with test, eq, & tren as my go to compounds but I'm going to try some deca, mast, and maybe some primo this year for a little change

Hell' date=' you might end up looking like a BB if you do it right. LOL[/quote'] Shhhhh....let's keep that one our little secret john....

Re: My Journey ( post Quest ) Took the weekend off to go with my family to atlanta....where my 3 girls were competing at a national event (cheerleading)....had a great time and they did real well..

Glad you have recouped and back at it. I was impressed first time I read your posts back in the quest days. Seeing your progress that was consistent and steady over the years was most noteworthy especially after being in the game for a long time and still making progress and achieving goals. That in itself is a monumental task especially at the level you achieved. Looking forward to seeing your new direction and aggravating you for info and help when I get stuck.

3/17/15....great session today Deadlift: 135/ 2x10, 245/3x3, 295/2x3, 335/2, 385/2....straps on->295/3x5 Safety bar squats (close stance, ass to calves): 200/5x10 Banded GHR: 5 sets High angle band pulldowns: 6x15 was a pretty good session for me got in some real work and it's the 1st deadlift session back, so I didn't work to a total max or anything, just to a weight that felt heavy and I could check my form....next time I'll work up to maybe 425-445 3/14/15 bench worked up to a clean 335 for a single, then 245/3x10 skull crushers: 5x10 Bi curls barbel: 5x10 Db side lat raises: 4x10 felt great this day & feeling more stable on the bench, all that time off hurt the strength and stability I have also working on the diet, I know zI've been saying that one for years but I am....wnet the super simple route and took some ques from a few diet on a budget videos I've been watching.... anyway,,,, I prepped my lunches for work today (actually a few days worth) it made 8 meals, lol...... 5 lbs of burger, 1 box of pasta, 1 jar of sauce, and 2 cups of cheese

Wish I could say your link brought it all up brudda. Since all of our old data has been moved, the old site linkage will just bounce everyone back here. Just takes a little extra time to find everything. Give this one a try: My Quest

also since I've always put just about everything that has gone on in my life in these threads..... jan 12th I finally quit chewing, after 28 yrs I'm done with the can a day habit...i did do it a little unconventional this time I started using an ecig, well more like one on the aas, lol, but I have been slowly lowering the nic level, & I'm not having the vivid ass dreams I did last time I tried to quit, went this route which I know some will have a problem with but it working, & it also work cause I also smoke cigars from time to time too, which I'm not doing also....best part is.... it is not affecting my breathing, meaning not short of breath, like when I tried to just use cigars to quit chewing, lol

bmc2000 likes this

Wish I could say your link brought it all up brudda. Since all of our old data has been moved, the old site linkage will just bounce everyone back here. Just takes a little extra time to find everything. Give this one a try: My Quest
thanks brudda, I edited my 1st post to reflect this

also since I've always put just about everything that has gone on in my life in these threads..... jan 12th I finally quit chewing' date=' after 28 yrs I'm done with the can a day habit...i did do it a little unconventional this time I started using an ecig, well more like one on the aas, lol, but I have been slowly lowering the nic level, & I'm not having the vivid ass dreams I did last time I tried to quit, went this route which I know some will have a problem with but it working, & it also work cause I also smoke cigars from time to time too, which I'm not doing also....best part is.... it is not affecting my breathing, meaning not short of breath, like when I tried to just use cigars to quit chewing, lol[/quote'] I completely understand getting away from smoking and chew. It has been 12 years for me. Not a good thing. Fortunately, or not, I am one those types who just walks away from it and never looks back. I still have a couple of cigars around but inhaling those things will make a goat puke. Besides, how bad can a cigar once in a blue moon be? Arnie and Sly seem to be able to do so with no issues.

I completely understand getting away from smoking and chew. It has been 12 years for me. Not a good thing. Fortunately, or not, I am one those types who just walks away from it and never looks back. I still have a couple of cigars around but inhaling those things will make a goat puke. Besides, how bad can a cigar once in a blue moon be? Arnie and Sly seem to be able to do so with no issues.
love a good cuban too bud, just one of those things I enjoy from time to time also.....

Really enjoy your posts, definitely shows how much thought and care you place on your goals. It seems from some of your comments that this persistence has carried over to successes in other areas of your life. Keep it up. The focus on this as a lifestyle will have the "fun" back into it instead of the daily grind of percentages wearing you out.

also since I've always put just about everything that has gone on in my life in these threads..... jan 12th I finally quit chewing' date=' after 28 yrs I'm done with the can a day habit...i did do it a little unconventional this time I started using an ecig, well more like one on the aas, lol, but I have been slowly lowering the nic level, & I'm not having the vivid ass dreams I did last time I tried to quit, went this route which I know some will have a problem with but it working, & it also work cause I also smoke cigars from time to time too, which I'm not doing also....best part is.... it is not affecting my breathing, meaning not short of breath, like when I tried to just use cigars to quit chewing, lol[/quote'] Good job on quit dipping. I have yet to even think about quitting this one.... I dont do a can everyday but it is a bad habit that doesnt affect my training so I have been reluctant to quit so I dont freak out and go ballistic on everything!!! LOL

Really enjoy your posts' date=' definitely shows how much thought and care you place on your goals. It seems from some of your comments that this persistence has carried over to successes in other areas of your life. Keep it up. The focus on this as a lifestyle will have the "fun" back into it instead of the daily grind of percentages wearing you out.[/quote'] Thanks brudda.glad you enjoy them....yeah ever since the iron bug bit...this has become my lifestyle for sure....you may be right...I know it has gone into all aspects of my life....but hey at 42 yrs old...I have a long time to keep growing and progressing right?

3/19/15 Banded Bench (medium bands)(narrow grip, pinky on rings) bar/2x15 135/3x10 185/3x5 225/3x5 275/1, 185/2x10 (normal grip) Standing barbell overhead press: 135/10,6,7,7 One Arm Barbell Rows: 45/15 90/3x10 Banded french press, rope attachment FU's : 2 sets.....( burn out sets that leave you saying fuck you to yourself, for those that don't know what that is, lol ) feeling great, super suprised how fast the strength and power is coming back after that long lay off from the gym...Thanks God!!!

3/19/15 Banded Bench (medium bands)(narrow grip, pinky on rings) bar/2x15 135/3x10 185/3x5 225/3x5 275/1, 185/2x10 (normal grip) Standing barbell overhead press: 135/10,6,7,7 One Arm Barbell Rows: 45/15 90/3x10 Banded french press, rope attachment FU's : 2 sets.....( burn out sets that leave you saying fuck you to yourself, for those that don't know what that is, lol ) feeling great, super suprised how fast the strength and power is coming back after that long lay off from the gym...Thanks God!!!
Lot of dedication and discipline in what you have going on brudda. Different than what I am looking to do but we all have different goals. I am just hoping to put on some size, maintain it, and build strength. Your posts give us all a bit of insight as to what it takes for you but they are also mentor those willing to read. I will probably never Deadlift any where near 500lbs but it is helpful to read of another person's journey to get there.
ccs273 and Joker like this

Lot of dedication and discipline in what you have going on brudda. Different than what I am looking to do but we all have different goals. I am just hoping to put on some size, maintain it, and build strength. Your posts give us all a bit of insight as to what it takes for you but they are also mentor those willing to read. I will probably never Deadlift any where near 500lbs but it is helpful to read of another person's journey to get there.
Thanks Sparky.....yeah I think all of us have different goals but threads like this or anyone else's training blog gives everyone a bunch of different training routes they can pick and choice from that they could maybe use in their own routine....let alone this is mostly to keep record of how I'm progressing and other can see if there is something I'm just flat out missing they can help me which is great...but the best part is since I started with the old thread I've been able to help some people with their journey....which is the best part cause it motivates me to keep going.... Oh and never doubt yourself sparky if you want to deadlift 500 someday you will...as with anything if you stay focused on the goal at hand and work to get it...it will happen.....and if 500 deadlift is one of your I may have a little program that could get you there faster than you think......
Joker likes this